What is an Apprenticeship?
There are many options available to young people after leaving school. We have outlined the information and benefits about Apprenticeships as a key route into securing a job and progressing into a successful career.
Apprenticeships are an excellent way of gaining qualifications, through hands on work experience and as an employee. Your son or daughter can earn as they learn.
Why choose an apprenticeship?
A REAL JOB
- A real job with an employer with training
- Typically 4 days a week in the workplace, 1 day at week training
- Workplace experience
- Practical skills and knowledge
- Functional skills, such as working in teams, problem solving, literacy and numeracy, communication and using new technology
- A real wage
- Paid holidays
- Better job security
- Nationally recognised vocational qualifications
- Training is at college usually on a day release basis - or the assessor comes to the workplace
- Possible route to university, further or higher education or training
Apprenticeships typically take one to two years to complete depending on the level of the Apprenticeship, the apprentice’s ability and the industry sector. Apprenticeships are available in a wide range of occupational areas from Engineering and Construction to Childcare and Hairdressing and some are available at two levels – Intermediate Apprenticeship and Advanced Apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships are available to anyone over the age 16, living in the UK and not in full-time education. There may be different entry requirements depending on the Apprenticeship and the industry sector they would like to work in. However, apprentices need to be committed, motivated, enthusiastic and reliable.
Your son or daughter must also secure employment in a relevant industry. This is where Entice comes in, in providing a route through to real job vacancies not just apprenticeshsip courses, which do not always have a guaranteed job connected with them.
Applicants will be interviewed prior to starting on an Apprenticeship programme.